Roland VersaUV LEF 12"
- Prints CMYK plus White and Clear Coat directly on a wide variety of substrates, including three-dimensional items
- Long-lasting UV LED lamps are safe, energy efficient and generate minimum heat
- Advanced Eco-UV inks are instant drying and flexible so they won’t crack
- White ink is ideal for producing rich, dense color graphics on clear and metallic surfaces
- Clear Coat produces matte or gloss finishes and improves scratch and chemical resistance and outdoor durability
- Patent-pending automated Ink Circulation System minimizes wasted ink
- VersaWorks® software RIP features a wealth of productivity tools including the Roland Color System for spot color matching, variable data printing, the Roland Texture Library and more
- Advanced X-Rite color management tools available
- Fully enclosed system eliminates the risk of UV light exposure to the eyes and skin, while virtually eliminating dust and debris, as well the odor of the UV inks.
The LEF delivers Roland's unparalleled UV printing capabilities to print directly on a vast array of substrates and three-dimensional objects, including giftware, awards, packaging, prototypes, and promotional and industrial products.
One of the most advanced and affordable benchtop UV printers in its class, the LEF-12 has a maximum print area of 12 inches by 11 inches, and can handle solid objects up to 3.94 inches thick. You can even add stunning graphics for high visual impact and unique dimensional effects, whether printing logos or any type of artwork on a vast array of items, including thumb drives, pens, cell phone covers, laptops and more. You're only limited by your imagination.
White ink can be added as a spot color, or a flood behind CMYK to make colors pop on dark backgrounds or clear materials such as acrylic. With the addition of Clear Coat ink, gloss or matte finishes can be produced for enhanced visual and tactile effects.
State-of-the-Art UV LED Curing System
The VersaUV LEF-12 includes a UV LED lamp that offers many advantages over conventional UV lamps.
- Longer life – the LED lamp on the VersaUV series lasts up to 10,000 hours, 10 times longer than conventional UV lamps.
- Low heat and highly energy-efficient – while conventional UV lamps can reach temperatures as high as 1500°F (800°C), LED lamps are extremely energy-efficient and generate very little heat. This virtually eliminates all risks associated with high heat, such as damage to the substrate and head crashes caused by media deformation.
- Instant On/Off – LED lamps can be turned on and off instantly and are ready to use immediately after the printer is turned on. Conventional curing systems may take several minutes to reach the nominal output level and require complex, noisy and failure-prone shutter systems to protect the substrate and the head’s capping system from exposure to heat and UV radiation.
- Equipped with a state-of-the-art LED curing system, the LEF-12 uses clear coat that allows for a choice of gloss or matte finishing.
- When using a matte clear coat finish, the printing process is completed in one step, with clear coat placed and UV cured at the same time.
- When performing gloss finishing or embossing, a layer of clear coat is applied with UV curing, followed by a second layer without UV curing. The machine then automatically returns to origin and starts the UV curing process.
Advanced ECO-UV Inks
The LEF-12 comes configured with CMYK plus White plus Clear Coat ECO-UV inks.ECO-UV ink was specially formulated for the VersaUV family of printers and printer/cutters to deliver high color density and wide gamut for exceptional images print after print. Clear coat can produce a matte or high-gloss finish and improved scratch and chemical resistance for outdoor durability. It can also be built up for 3D textures and embossed effects. ECO-UV ink is perfect for applications such as promotional products, giftware, awards, signage, packaging, POP and small displays. ECO-UV ink lasts up to two years outdoors when flooded with clear coat and up to six months unprotected.
* Room ventilation and a Roland approved air filtration system are required. Please consult the MSDS for more guidance on the proper use and ventilation of ECO-UV or ECO-UV S inks.
Prints Directly on Three-Dimensional Objects
The VersaUV LEF-12 has a maximum print area of 12 inches by 11 inches and accommodates objects up to 3.94 inches in height. This allows users to print directly onto a wide range of giftware and promotional items ranging from pens, key chains and golf balls to trophies, cell phone covers and even laptop computers.
Unsurpassed Media Compatibility
The ingenious combination of advanced ECO-UV inks with the LEF-12’s low heat state-of-the-art UV LED lamp enables printing on virtually any substrate with optimum print quality.
ECO-UV ink adheres to a wide range of treated and untreated substrates, including PVC, PET, ABS, wood, boards, acrylic and much more, delivering an unprecedented range of media compatibility and print quality.
The low heat UV LED lamp allows for printing directly on electronic devices or heat sensitive plastics without the risk of causing damage.
*Some substrates may require pre-treatment.
Patent-Pending Automated Ink Circulation System
It is a well-known fact that white ink contains heavy pigments that can settle over time, decreasing the density of white output and affecting the nozzles if not purged from the system periodically. Roland’s innovative patent-pending system circulates the white ink to prevent the settling of pigments in the lines. In addition, the system controls the discharge of white ink by monitoring white ink usage and the types of jobs that are printed.
By preventing unnecessary discharges and minimizing the amount of ink that is subject to settling, this automated system significantly reduces ink waste and virtually eliminates all manual white ink maintenance procedures. Note that the white ink cartridge still needs to be shaken prior to use each day, as the ink in the cartridge is not circulated by this system.
Roland Intelligent Pass Control™
Roland Intelligent Pass Control technology, developed by Roland software engineers, represents the pinnacle of inkjet printing. This patent-pending system precisely controls dot placement between passes and delivers unprecedented imaging performance in all resolutions. Roland Intelligent Pass Control enables the VersaUV LEF-12 to produce exceptionally smooth gradations and solid colors with virtually no banding in all print modes.
Laser Alignment System
Another Roland innovation is the built-in laser alignment system for the VersaUV LEF-12. With the laser alignment system, you can quickly and easily setup for different materials. To ensure proper image placement, there are two methods for setting the laser’s point of origin, including:
- Two-point reference – This method uses the lower right and upper left corner of the object as a reference point to generate a bounding box that can be read by Roland’s VersaWorks, to ensure proper image placement for printing on a variety of standard sized objects.
- Center origin – Typically used for circular, curved or odd shaped items, this method requires the user to manually input the dimensions of the printable item into VersaWorks to set the reference point for the laser and ensure proper image placement.
To ensure outstanding print quality around the curvatures of objects, two mist filters are incorporated in the LEF-12, one on the back of the unit and the other located between the print head and the UV lamp. These mist filters catch all residual ink that may mist when printing off the edge or curvature of a product. This cuts down on overspray and keeps the ink from settling on the printers internal components. Both filters are replaceable by the end user.
Fully Enclosed System
The VersaUV LEF-12 is the only benchtop UV printer that is fully enclosed. Having a fully enclosed system cuts the risk of UV light exposure to the skin and eyes, reduces dust and debris, and minimizes ink odor.
Optional Air Filtration Unit
Custom built for the LEF-12, an optional air filtration system is available from Roland. While ensuring proper ventilation, this unit also doubles as a stand and storage unit for jigs, fixtures and supplies. When connected to the stand, the Roland air filtration system virtually eliminates odor. The VersaUV LEF-12 is ventilation-ready, featuring a built-in connector for the Roland unit or other standard air filtration systems.
Designed for the Environment and Safety
The energy-efficient VersaUV series uses only a fraction of the power used by a conventional UV printer and automatically enters a low-power mode when it is not used for an extended period of time. This energy-efficient design literally saves thousands of dollars in electric bills each year and reduces considerably the emission of greenhouse gases. And because LED lamps do not require any warm up time, saving energy does not reduce your productivity.
Traditional UV curing equipment can expose operators to harmful ozone and UV-B and UV-C radiation. Ozone is a known air pollutant that can cause lung damage and respiratory problems. UV-B and UV-C radiation can cause eye damage, skin cancer and accelerated skin aging. The LED lamp on the VersaUV LEF-12 is completely ozone-free and only emits the much safer UV-A radiation.
VersaWorks RIP software has been exclusively developed for Roland inkjet printers and printer/cutters. This true Adobe PostScript 3 RIP ensures exceptional production output with unmatched ease-of-use.
VersaWorks incorporates the latest Adobe CPSI engine 3019 for faster processing, better color and smoother gradations and can control up to four Roland devices including GX series cutters.
VersaWorks features the Roland Color System for spot color matching, Variable Data Printing for customized job output, ink consumption and print time estimation, and the Max Impact preset for richer color contrast, outstanding image quality and maximum productivity. VersaWorks also includes the Roland Texture Library featuring 72 ready-to-use textures that can be applied to designs by layering ECO-UV Clear Coat ink.
NewOptional X-Rite Color Management Tools
For precise color management, Roland now offers X-Rite's i1Basic Pro 2 for calibrating your monitor to display accurate digital color as well as, linearizing your Roland printer for consistent output. Upgrade to the X-Rite i1Publish Pro 2, which includes the same capabilities, as well as complete ICC/ICM media profiling. Both packages include the new i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer, Pantone® Color Manager software and an accessories package. The i1Publish Pro 2 also includes i1Profiler software.
Roland OnSupport is an online support portal that provides real time feedback on the user’s machine. This system monitors ink levels and provides access to manuals and software updates, how-to guides, preventive maintenance guides, machine usage metrics and periodic updates to firmware. It sends notifications to the user’s cell phone or email address and allows the user to both manage productivity and gain direct feedback from Roland.
|Watch the OnSupport video|
Two-Year Trouble-Free Warranty
Roland inkjets combine unbeatable performance with legendary Roland reliability. As proof, Roland offers a Two-Year Trouble-Free Warranty for the VersaUV series when equipped exclusively with Roland inks and the warranty is registered within 60 days of delivery.
|Printing method||Piezoelectric inkjet / Table feed system|
|Acceptable media||Width||13.2 in. (335mm)|
|Depth||12.2 in. (310mm)|
|Thickness||3.94 in. (100mm)|
|Printing area||12x11 in. (305x280mm)|
|Ink cartridges||Type||Roland Eco-UV inks|
|Capacity||6 cartridges - 220 ml (± 5 ml)|
|Colors||6 colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, White and Clear Coat)|
|Ink curing unit||Single UV LED Lamp|
|Printing resolutions||Maximum 1440x720 dpi|
|Distance accuracy when printing||Error of less than ± 0.3 % of distance traveled, or ± 0.012 in (0.3 mm), whichever is greater.|
|Interface||Ethernet (10 BASE-T / 100 BASE-TX, automatic switching)|
|Power-saving function||Automatic sleep feature|
|Power supply||Volatage and frequency||AC 100 to 240 V ± 10%, 50/60 Hz|
|Required power capacity||Maximum 1.8 A|
|Power consumption||During operation||156W|
|Acoustic noise level||During operation||60dB (A) or less|
|During standby||49dB (A) or less|
|Outer Dimensions||39.3 x 34.2 x 21.5 in. (998 (W) x 867 (D) x 546 (H) mm)|
|Environment||Power on||Temperature: 68° to 90°F (20° to 32°C) (72°F [22°C] or more recommended),
Humidity: 35 to 80% (no condensation)
|Power off||Temperature: 41° to 104°F (5° to 40°C), Humidity: 20 to 80% (no condensation)|
|Included items||Power cord, adhesive sheet, software RIP (Roland VersaWorks™), user documentation|
VersaUV LEF-12 Introduction
The VersaUV LEF-12 delivers Roland's unparalleled UV printing capabilities to print directly on a vast array of substrates and three-dimensional objects, including giftware, awards, packaging, prototypes, and promotional and industrial products.